History of Ginger/Adrak – Ginger or Adrak is a perennial herb known as Zingiber Officinale. It is native to tropical Asia. For its miraculous medicinal properties, it is used in many ancient traditions such as Chinese medicines, Unani, and Ayurveda. It has been used for about 4000 years in culinary preparation in India.
Western view- Ginger is pungent tuber known for its unique property to settle an upset stomach. In western terminology, ginger can be described as a stimulator, appetizer, diaphoretic, anti-emetic, sialagogue anti-tumorigenic, anti-inflammatory, anti-microbial, anti-hyperglycaemic, anti- carcinogenic, anti-atherosclerotic, circulatory stimulant, and cardiotonic.
Action of Ginger- Ginger is effective in all kinds of digestive disorders, gas, vomiting, nausea, abdominal, belching and motion sickness. It is known for its anti-cold properties. It can also be used for gouts, rheumatism, respiratory conditions, flu, heart disease, haemorrhoids, arthritis,headaches, laryngitis, migraines. Its juice can even be used for burns.
Its other properties are mentioned below-
- It is used as a traditional remedy for cough. Extract juice out of ginger and Tulsi. Mix both the juices. Add an equal amount of honey to it. The prepared concoction can be taken alone or with Sitopladi Churn.
- Its volatile oils carry anti-inflammatory properties due to which it is an excellent remedy for headaches and flu. To treat the condition, take dry ginger (also called Sunthi) with warm water. It will give relief from flu, headache, and all kinds of inflammation-related problems.
- Ginger settles an upset stomach and helps in digestion. Roast small pieces of ginger on a pan in desi ghee. Add some salt and eat it. It will settle the stomach and improve digestion.
- Ginger reduces Nausea and recovers appetite. By improving digestion, it recovers appetite.It is mentioned in Ayurvedic texts that everyone should take fresh ginger before lunch and dinner as it enhances digestion and restores craving for food. Nausea can also be reduced by taking fresh ginger with rock salt.
- It reduces joint pains as well as body pains. Grind Carom seeds (Ajowan) and ginger. Apply the mixture over aching part of the body.
- Consumption of fresh ginger is a good remedy for dry mouth problem because it produces saliva.